Career Center

Financial Aid & SAT/ACT Information

ACT Assessment

Register to take college entrance exams administered and scored by ACT. With parent resources, test taking strategies, and an event calendar.

The only site where you can register for the SAT and get test prep with real SAT questions. You'll also get instant confirmation of your test date and location.

The Financial Aid Information page

Sponseres by the National Association of Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA). This site has information reguarding financial aid and interactive calculators that allow potential borrowers to estimate their financial need and expected family contribution.

Student Market

Student Market provides information on alternative financing programs. Check it out today!

E-Student Loan

Compare student loans and apply online!

I-Student Loan

Undergrads, grads and parents can apply online for private student loans. We feature secure applications and 10-minute, online approvals.


Foster youth are eligible for many types of financial aid. There are state financial aid programs, federal financial aid programs, college and university financial aid programs and scholarships from different sources. Foster youth may also be eligible for:

  • Federal Pell Grants: Federal grants of money for low-income students that does not need to be paid back.
  • Federal loans: Money that must be paid back after students graduate from college.
  • Fee waivers: Community College may offer programs that waive the cost of classes for low-income students.
  • Scholarships: Grants of money from different sources that youth must find and apply for that does not need to be paid back.
  • Institution Specific Monies: Some community colleges and public four year universities may offer financial aid programs that provide grants and stipends that do not need to be paid back.


The Student Guide provides information on student financial aid programs offered by the U.S. Department of Education. Financial aid includes primarily grants, loans, and work-study opportunities. The Student Guide is available electronically at

To apply for many federal and state student aid programs, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application is available electronically at

WA State Need Grant

The State Need Grant program helps the state’s lowest-income undergraduate students pursue degrees, hone their skills, or retrain for new careers. For more information contact the Higher Education Coordinating Board at (360) 753-7800.

State Work Study

Undergraduate and graduate students with financial need earn money for college through part-time work while gaining experience whenever possible in jobs related to their academic and career interests.

Chafee Foster Care Independence Program

The John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Program funds state programs that provide independent living services to youth who have been or are in out-of-home care. Chafee Program funding may be applied to many kinds of education services. For high school students, these services may include tutoring, help with GED completion, computer classes and help with post secondary planning. For students in post secondary education and training, services may include tuition assistance, ancillary needs (books and fees) and room and board expenses. For a list of state Independent Living Coordinators and comprehensive information on Chafee programs, visit or call (918) 660-3700.

Orphan Foundation of America

The Orphan Foundation of America offers college and vocational scholarships. Recipients must have been in foster care for at least one year at the time of their 18th birthday or emancipation from foster care. Scholarships are renewable and range from $1000 to $7000 per year. Access for other scholarship opportunities.

National Foster Parent Association

This organization offers scholarship for college or university studies, vocational/job training and correspondence courses, including the GED. Visit

For free scholarship web searches, see or

For more information, see Mrs. Long in the Career Center.


The Husky Promise is a guarantee for Washington State students from low-income and lower-middle income families that if their student is admitted to the University of Washington, finances won’t keep them from reaching their goals and realizing their potential.

To be eligible for the Husky Promise, the student must:

  • Be admitted to the University of Washington;
  • Be a Washington state resident;
  • Meet all eligibility criteria for the Pell Grant or State Need Grant Programs;
  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before the UW’s priority filing date of February 28 for the following academic year.  You must list the University of Washington (federal code #003798) as one of the college you wish to receive the results of your FAFSA;
  • Enroll full-time of the UW;
  • Be pursuing a first bachelor’s degree;
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress while at the UW.

If you don’t qualify for the Husky Promise, UW still has grants, scholarships, work-study and loan funds that will help you pay your educational costs.

For more information and/or a brochure regarding the Husky Promise, see Mrs. Long in the Career Center.

Last Modified on September 11, 2007